Living Inside The Cemetery: A Photo Documentary inside Manila North Cemetery

Tuesday, March 15, 2016


Have you ever wondered how it feels like to live inside the cemetery?
This is a photo documentary on how the local Filipinos live inside Manila North Cemetery.


I followed the life of a man named Niño, who have lived inside Manila North Cemetery for years already. He lives in Sta. Cruz Manila and has spent his life living in the city with his family because of few opportunities available in their province. He lived in the niche of his boss' late parents who owns the tomb and works as a caretaker for them. There are a lot of people who lives inside the cemetery which I thought shouldn't surprise me, but it did. Most of the people who came from the different provinces of the Philippines and moved in the city cannot afford to pay the high rental fees and can't afford to buy a house so they had to resort in living somewhere - the cemetery.

At first, I couldn't believe that it is possible but then I've realized it's already becoming a norm in the country because of the immense poverty in the Philippines and growth of population in the metro.


There were kids roaming around the area and playing. I have always looked at the cemetery as a place of grief and fright. I believe in spirits and ghost that's why one of my concerns if the kids living here aren't actually afraid of them? I'm not sure if i'm just too paranoid or these people don't even think about these facts anymore cause what's more important is for them to be able to have a place to stay.


Nino is in a family of 4. He lives with his wife and two kids, a boy and a girl.
They don't have electricity during evenings but use the available sun light during the mornings and maximize it to dry their clothes.
As you can see in the photo above they improvise a small wire and used it as their "sampayan" / hanger to hang all their clothes.


I have reflected on this moment too many times that I feel like crying while i'm in front of these kids. I look at them and they were so happy with the few toys they have. I feel so guilty not being thankful enough to have the things that I have now.





This is Nino's little girl, she goes to school during mornings. He loves to play with his younger brother.





Who would have thought that it's so ordinary to see these pillows being dried on top of the niches?


There were even little sari sari-stores in the area.





These kids use the cemetery as their playground. They don't mind climbing on top of them. Roaming around playing touch-taya and taguan.






Public Bathroom?
Yes this looks like their public bathroom. They have set up a washing area, a dipper, balde, and even resourcefully used the wires as their towel hanger.








Some had even set up their own spaces inside the house niches. Placed their speakers, tv sets, electric fans, and cables inside. They treat it as if it's really their houses.









FINAL OUTPUT
I used these final output to submit for my project. I must say staying here and visiting these place a few times made me rethink a lot about my life. How blessed I am and how should I be happy and be contented because not every child and Filipino are given the privilege to live a good life. I know this kids, with their hard working parents who still aims to provide them a place to sleep in despite their living conditions will be happy and successful in the future.





You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento

Popular Posts

Like my Page

Zomato

View my food journey on Zomato!